BIO 117 / 1214
Week 6 Assignment / Psychotropic, Musculoskeletal, Anti-Inflammatory, and Drug Abuse
Psychotropic, Musculoskeletal, Anti-Inflammatory, and Drug Abuse
Complete the following and submit your answers.
· Chapter 19, page 372 questions 1 through 10.
· Chapter 20, page 406-407 Case Studies A & B–Psychotropic Drugs
Chapter 19, page 372 questions 1 through 10.
1. amitriptyline –
2. Vicodin –
3. Imitrex –
4. Methadone –
5. Percodan –
6. Duragesic –
7. fentanyl –
8. codeine –
9. Narcan –
10. Tegretol –
Chapter 20, page 406-407 Case Studies A & B–Psychotropic Drugs
Case Study A – Psychotropic Drugs
1. What is the drug of choice to treat patients with bipolar disorder?
2. Patients on lithium should be monitored for correct dosing by which method?
3. While reviewing Kevin’s chart, the nurse notes that he has been visiting the health center during the prior school years with complaints of photophobia. This indicates which complication?
4. All patients should be cautioned when taking lithium with which category of medications?
Case Study B – Psychotropic Drugs
1. Jose has asked his personal physician for a medication to help him cope as he assimilates back into his daily life. What type of drug would the physician be most likely to prescribe to Jose for short-term use?
2. The physician warns Jose that when taking a minor anxiolytic, he may develop drug dependence. What does this likely mean for Jose?
3. The physician also explains that sudden withdrawal after prolonged use of an anxiolytic may result in which symptom?
4. Side effects of benzodiazepines may include:
5. Physicians should use extreme caution when prescribing a benzodiazepine to a patient with a history of: