BIO 120 Lab Unknown Report Guideline
1. Results: Include images (or drawings), and short descriiptions explaining the outcome ofeach test. Include stain results, morphology and size, colony morphology on TSA plates andslants. Include results of biochemical tests on media plates and in tubes. Be sure to explainWHAT each test was testing for, and why.2. Include a flowchart for each of your two organisms. Show how you ruled out the variouspossibilities and came to the conclusion you did for YOUR organisms. It is okay to have thekeys on two separate pages if that makes formatting easier3. Write a 1-2 page (single spaced, 11 pt font) narrative/discussion for one of the organismsyou identified in this project. This narrative describing your fictional future patient shouldfocus on the medical relevance of each organism, such as virulence factors and the type ofinfections caused, treatments provided and patient outcome. If neither of your organismswere a pathogen, you may select a related organism that is a pathogen.
You are a healthcare worker, working in your chosen profession! Congratulations! You did it!!!BUT. One of your patients has become infected with the type of organism that youhave identified as your unknown! Describe the symptoms they exhibit. What tests did you (or thedoctor) do to determine what organism it was? What medications or therapy did the patient receive?What was the outcome of their illness? Use the library reference databases (or library) to researchyour organism and use in-text citations to illustrate how you used your research in your narrative.
Please note that this MUST be in your own words. You will receive ZERO points if youhave copied ANY sentences (or parts of sentences) from your sources.
4. Provide a bibliography/reference that you use in your in-text citations. Citations MUSTbe in either APA or MLA format. You need a minimum of five references for theorganism you choose to write about. Only ONE of them can be your book ORWikipedia. Use peer- reviewed scientific articles for your other articles.5. Include the Bacteria information sheet for each of your bacteria6. You do NOT need to write a “Materials and Methods” section. Reports will be graded perthe rubric associated with this assignment.
● Title and Abstract (4 pts)o Be creative with the title. Try not to use the word ‘unknown’ in your titleo Abstract should summarize the full report
● Results (12 pts)o Organize tests into tables and pictures into figureso Figures and tables should have legendso Number the figures and tables based on the sequence you describe them, notnecessarily when they were performed chronologicallyo Include Gram stain imageso Describe the figures and tables, conclusion of each test clearly statedo Integrate the result descriiption with the figures, tables and flowcharts(mention Figure 1 or Table 1 in the text when you describe them)o Describe the logic of how you arrived at the identification of your bacteria (referto the flow charts when you do so)
● Flow charts (6 pts)o Include both the Gram+ and Gram- flowchartso Highlight the path to your identificationo Make sure each step is dichotomous
● Bacteria information sheet (6 pts)o Include both the Gram+ and Gram- information sheeto All test results recorded
● Narrative/Discussion (16 pts)o Introduce the narrative: the patient’s story and symptomso *Please note that some students opt to use an ‘Introduction’ at the beginning ofthe report, and ‘Narrative/Discussion’ at the end of the report; this is not requiredbut will not impact your report grade if you choose to do it this wayo Provide some references for identifying causative agents based on the describedsymptomso Discuss the tests that medical team (you the nurse, the doctor and the hospitalmicrobiology lab) have performed to help diagnose the patient’s illnesso Discuss some properties of your bacteria with what metabolic enzymesthey have (tie in the pathogenicity of the bacteria with the biochemical testswe performed) that cause certain signs and symptomso What medications or therapies did the patient receive?o Describe the outcome of the patient’s illnesso Use the library reference databases (or library) to research your organismo Use in-text citations to illustrate how you used your research in your narrativeo Discuss the technical challenges of the unknown project / patient diagnosiso Talk about how many tests were performed for each bacterium, and howmany were useful for ID purpose
● References (2 pts)o At least 5 references, could be journal articles, book chapters, etc.o Make sure the sources are scientific (CDC website, Mayo Clinic; Wikipedia isnot considered reliable because anyone could go on and edit the content)o Extra credit is given if you use more than the minimum number of references
● Readability (4 pts)o Use clear and concise language in the reporto Proofread before turning in the report (report full of typos and grammarerrors will lose point
Are you looking for a custom made solution (original essay) on the same question or a similar one?
We have prepared thousands papers to our clients around the world in the last ten years.
We really respect our clients’ privacy.
We guarantee original work with a free plagiarism report and high grades in your homework.
Proceed and place an order with us….get sufficient time to study for your main exams!
BIO 120 Lab Unknown Report Guideline