In this assignment, you will explain the roles of culture and bias in interpreting and conveying information.
In Module One, you learned some common terminology used to explain different aspects of cultural diversity and how these terms may influence decision making. You also completed your own personal diversity assessment using Loden’s Diversity Wheel. These activities will assist you as you begin to construct a cultural diversity education and training for Project One.
In this activity, you will examine the history of Chinese immigration to the United States in order to gain a better understanding of the relationship between cultural bias, stereotyping, and communication issues among a specific group, the police, and the criminal justice system. This will also assist you as you consider the specific factors from Loden’s Diversity Wheel that impact criminal-justice interactions in Project Two, which you will complete in Module Five.
First, review the History of San Francisco’s Chinatown resource, On Police Treatment, Asian-Americans Show Ethnic, Generational Splits, and The Social History of Crime and Punishments in America: An Encyclopedia -Chinese Americans. Then, in a slide presentation, complete the following essential elements:
- Provide a 50- to 100-word summary of cultural stereotypes related to Chinese immigrants.
- Include any additional notes as speaker notes.
Slides 2 and 3
- Provide at least two examples of poor decision making in the criminal justice system or its professionals that are the direct result of cultural stereotyping.
- Include each example on its own slide.
- Provide a summary of the history of Chinese immigration to the United States.
- Connect this history with cultural biases and stereotypes.
- Identify speaking and listening communication issues that may arise due to bias or stereotyping related to the history of Chinese immigrants to the United States.
Specifically, the following rubric criteria must be addressed:
- Identify cultural stereotypes of Chinese immigrants.
- Provide examples of poor decision making as a result of cultural stereotyping.
- Explore the connection between the history of Chinese immigration to the United States and cultural bias and stereotypes.
- Identify communication issues that may arise due to bias or stereotyping.
Guidelines for Submission
This assignment must be completed as a presentation with a minimum of six slides. All references should be cited in APA format. Review the Shapiro Library’s APA Style Guide for more information on citations.